- Fee Not-So-Simple: Referral Fee Dos and Don’ts
By Helen Gunnarsson, Illinois Bar Journal, May 2005
It's permissible to refer cases to other lawyers and share in the fee, as long as all the requirements are met. But just because you can share a fee doesn't necessarily mean you should.
- Putting Your Firm on the Web
By Mary Katherine Danna, Illinois Bar Journal, November 2005
Includes a discussion of client referral services.
- Referral Fees
Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission
Ten Ethics Questions from Young Lawyers
ISBA Advisory Opinions on Professional Conduct
- 03-06 Referral fees; retaining responsibility for matter after leaving law firm
- 99-06 Conflicts of interests
- 98-02 Independent contractors
- 92-23 Computerized for profit referral services
- 90-26 Conflicts
- 90-18 Referral fees; division between referring and receiving lawyers
- 90-11 Division of Fees with Referring Attorney
- 840 Referral networks
- 776 Of Counsel relationships/referral fees
Have a suggestion for a practice resource? Please email Mark Mathewson.
These resources are presented as educational resources for for ISBA members. They should not be relied upon as a substitute for individual legal research, and the ISBA does not warrant the accuracy of the information that appears in them.