TELESEMINAR: Understanding and Planning Title Insurance in Commercial Real Estate – A National Perspective
April 23, 2013
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
1.00 MCLE hours
Title insurance is a requirement of every commercial real estate transaction and yet its role is often misunderstood or overlooked as merely a piece of expensive boilerplate. But no bank will lend on a project without it and no investor will commit equity unless the underlying title of the property is investigated and insured. Failure to understand the complex web of details of a title insurance policy can easily cost property owners, investors, lenders and developers the essential financial benefit of underlying bargain. This program will provide you with a guide to understanding the role of title insurance in commercial real estate transactions, including the process of obtaining a policy, integrating policies into operative transactional documents, the relationship of policies to obtaining funding for a deal, and how to get the most out of your policies.
- Understanding title insurance in commercial real estate transactions
- Detailed review of ALTA forms, including recent changes
- Coverage exclusions and policy conditions
- Owner-covered risks and loan covered risks
- Special issues involving financially distressed real estate
- Maximizing benefits of title insurance, the policy of obtaining a policy, and integration with the underlying deal
Robert Bozarth, Fidelity National Title Group, Virginia