TELESEMINAR: Managing Employee Leave – A National Perspective
July 18, 2013
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
1.00 MCLE hours
There are many sources of federal law entitling employees to leave for family, medical, disability, military service and other reasons. These statutes overlap in part but cover different employers and employees, and carry with them different entitlements. Understanding and administering the growing number of employee leave entitlements can be a daunting task for employers, who often look to outside counsel for guidance. This program will provide you with a practical guide to the sources of federal employee leave law, covered employees and qualifying circumstances, how leave can and should be incorporated into employer policies and handbooks, and tips for avoiding liability.
- Sources of employee leave law – FMLA, ADA, and military leave
- Employees covered and what circumstances qualify for leave
- Amount of leave and employee benefits while on leave
- Medical certificate, proof of eligibility, and administering leave
- Employee entitlement to reinstatement once leave has concluded
- Incorporating leave into employer policies and employee handbooks
Kenneth M. Willner, Paul Hastings, LLP, Washington, D.C.
Chris M. Mason, Polsinelli Shughart LLP, Arizona