By joining and using ISBA's e-mail lists, you agree that you have read and will follow the rules set for these peer discussion groups.
List messages are for the use of ISBA members only and may not be distributed to non-ISBA members without the permission of the Illinois State Bar Association. Nevertheless, list messages are not confidential.
These lists are not moderated, and your messages will not be screened before you send them. However, as with any community, there are guidelines governing behavior on the discussion group.
Rules for ISBA Discussion Groups
Violating antitrust regulations, selling, or marketing are not permissible. Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with the rules listed below. If you have questions, contact Douglas Knapp at email@example.com. ISBA reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership on all lists for members who violate these rules.
- Do not send off-topic messages to the lists. Note that political discussion is off-topic for every list except the ISBA Café.
- The discussions on the lists are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Do not challenge or attack others.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location, and e-mail address
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a discussion group message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you. Remember that while users are prohibited by this Policy from reproducing and distributing posts to non-members, users may from time to time reproduce or distribute posts to other ISBA discussion groups. And, while the ISBA believes its members will follow this Email Discussion Group Policy, the ISBA has no technical means to prevent a user from reproducing or distributing a post on non-ISBA media or otherwise in contravention of the Policy. Accordingly, you have no reasonable expectation of confidentiality on anything you post or that your posts will not appear in non-ISBA forums.
- Though you may remind fellow list members about ISBA CLE programs, do not otherwise post commercial messages.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. If you see posted information or material in which you claim a copyright that you believe is being infringed, please provide the required notification under Title 17, United States Code, Section 512(e) to the ISBA's Designated Agent: Mark Mathewson, 424 South Second St., Springfield, Illinois, 62701, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or supplies; or potential violation of current antitrust laws.
- Do not use the discussion groups to gather email addresses of fellow list users for the purposes of sending them unsolicited marketing messages.
Members who violate these rules are subject to removal from the discussion groups.
To file a complaint about violations of these rules, use this form.
Discussion Group Etiquette
We ask that list members follow these norms as a courtesy to other members.
- State concisely and clearly the specific topic of the comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives. If you are changing the topic of a previous post you respond to, you should change the subject line of the post.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply, delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the group when it contains information that everyone can benefit from. Send messages such as “thanks for the information” or “me, too” to individuals—not to the discussion group. Please do not send messages like "testing" to the discussion group.
- If you are going to turn on an Out of Office auto-reply, keep in mind that all the people posting to the discussion group are going to get your out of office message. To avoid this, please go to My Discussion Groups and change your setting to "Web Only", or set up your Out of Office email to not reply to messages from people sending messages to the discussion group (you can use the subject field to do this).
- Do not attach a document to a discussion group message when a hyperlink to a website where the document can be found exists. For example, do not attach a judicial opinion when it is possible to include a hyperlink to that opinion on the court's website.
Please note carefully all items listed in this disclaimer, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the list.
This list is provided as a service of the Illinois State Bar Association. ISBA accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. ISBA disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by ISBA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall ISBA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site. By joining and using a discussion group you are acknowledging that you've read this disclaimer, understand it, and are waiving any cause of action you may have against the ISBA.
Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants ISBA and users of this list the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information.
From time to time, ISBA email discussion lists may include attachments from users, third parties, or hyperlinks to other websites or materials ("non-ISBA content"). Because the ISBA has no control over this non-ISBA content, you acknowledge and agree that the ISBA is not responsible for its availability and that the ISBA does not endorse or warrant the accuracy of any non-ISBA content. You further acknowledge and agree that the ISBA shall in no way be liable or responsible for such non-ISBA content, including any advertising, products or materials on or available from it. You further acknowledge and agree that the ISBA shall not be responsible or liable in any way for any damages you incur or allege to have incurred, either directly or indirectly, as a result of your use or reliance upon any non-ISBA content, including any advertising, products or materials on or available from such content.
Any material viewed, accessed, downloaded, or otherwise obtained through the use of the ISBA's email discussion lists is accessed at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your device, computer, or loss of data.
The ISBA does not represent or guarantee that its email discussion lists will be free from loss, corruption, attack, viruses, interference, malware, hacking, or other security intrusions and the ISBA disclaims any liability relating thereto.
By joining and using a discussion group you acknowledge that it is not confidential and should be used only for general discussion purposes. You understand that any information posted on a list is not a substitute for your own research or judgment. Finally, you acknowledge that you have read ISBA Professional Conduct Advisory Opinion 12-15 discussing the use of bar association listserves.