Celebrate Law Day with bar associations and lawyers throughout Illinois by hosting a Legal Answers Pro Bono Clinic.
What is Illinois Legal Answers?
Legal Answers is a secure website where lower income Illinois residents can ask an attorney a question about a civil legal problem. You pick the questions you want to answer, and you submit your answer to the client through a secure website. Malpractice coverage is provided.
Hosting a Legal Answers Pro Bono Clinic is easy:
#1. Pick a date, time, and location for your clinic.
- Date: Law Day is Wednesday, May 1! We encourage you to pick a date between April 29 and May 5.
- Time: We recommend scheduling your clinic for 1-2 hours.
- Location: It doesn't have to be fancy! You just need a secure wifi connection, space for your volunteers to spread out with their laptops, and enough outlets or power strips for volunteers to plug in.
#2. Recruit your volunteers.
- Modify the Legal Answers Clinic flyer template, or create your own flyer or email to advertise your clinic to your members.
- Send your clinic information to Melissa Burkholder at email@example.com, and we'll list it on the ISBA's website.
#3. Get your volunteers ready.
- Ask your volunteers to register and create an account on IL.freelegalanswers.org before your clinic. (It will save significant time on the day of your clinic if everyone creates an account in advance.)
- Remind your volunteers to bring their laptops.
- No training is required. (Remember, you pick the question you want to answer.) But if you want to brush up on your skills, sign up for the ISBA's CLE Make Every Day Law Day: Family Law Basics on April 18 or check out the resources available for volunteers in the Legal Answers Toolkit.
#4. Clinic day: start answering questions!
- Log in and pick your questions. Model answers and legal information are available on www.illinoislegalaid.org.
- Have fun! (Up for a little friendly competition? See who can answer the most questions!)