The ISBA Young Lawyers Division serves as a resource for young lawyers practicing in Illinois to develop, enhance, and foster a balanced professional life. It consists of all ISBA members under age 37 and members admitted to practice under 7 years.
The New Lawyers webpages are designed to make it easy for new lawyers to find information aimed at them including ISBA benefits, job opportunities, events, publications, and more. There are also pages with information about:
- CLE for New Lawyers
- MCLE Requirements for New Lawyers (including a tool to find out MCLE Compliance and Reporting Deadlines)
- Mentoring for New Lawyers
YLD Book Club
Join the Young Lawyers Division for our Book Club meetings.
Professional Development Series
See our past programs in our Professional Development Series archive.
Annual Lincoln Award Legal Writing Contest
Sponsored by and for lawyer members of the Young Lawyers Division. Past winning articles can be found in the February issues of the Illinois Bar Journal. Find out more about the Lincoln Award Writing Contest.
Tools and Resources
- Young Lawyers discussion group is available to section members via the Young Lawyers community in ISBA Central
- The Young Lawyers Law Section directory is available to all ISBA members
- Practice and Career
- Useful links
- ISBA Report on Impact of Current Law School Curriculum on the Future of the Practice of Law in Illinois
- ISBA Report on the Impact of Law School Debt on the Delivery of Legal Services
Over the course of any bar year, the ISBA YLD holds a number of flagship events. Each event is a unique opportunity for our sponsors to target and reach this up-and-coming group of lawyers. Find out more about sponsorship opportunities.
Children’s Assistance Fund
The ISBA YLD Children’s Assistance Fund awards grants to 501(c)(3) organizations serving the State of Illinois. Bar Associations, though 501(c)(6) organizations, are encouraged to apply for project support. Find out more about the Children’s Assistance Fund
YLD on Facebook
- Illinois Becomes Breeding Ground for Biometric Information Privacy Rights
- The Best of Both Worlds
- It Takes 12 to Tango
- Beneficial Leadership Opportunities in the ISBA, Local Bar Associations, and Other Organizations
- Update on the ISBA’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Initiatives Regarding Disability and Disabled People