The ISBA Young Lawyers Division serves as a resource for young lawyers practicing in Illinois to develop, enhance, and foster a balanced professional life. It consists of all ISBA members under age 37 and members admitted to practice under 7 years.
The New Lawyers webpages are designed to make it easy for new lawyers to find information aimed at them including ISBA benefits, job opportunities, events, publications, and more. There are also pages with information about:
- CLE for New Lawyers
- MCLE Requirements for New Lawyers (including a tool to find out MCLE Compliance and Reporting Deadlines)
- Mentoring for New Lawyers
YLD Book Club
Join the Young Lawyers Division for our Book Club meetings.
YLD Free Pizza/Professional Development Series
See our past programs in our Professional Development Series archive.
Annual Lincoln Award Legal Writing Contest
Sponsored by and for lawyer members of the Young Lawyers Division. Past winning articles can be found in the February issues of the Illinois Bar Journal. Find out more about the Lincoln Award Writing Contest.
Other Tools and Resources
Over the course of any bar year, the ISBA YLD holds a number of flagship events. Each event is a unique opportunity for our sponsors to target and reach this up-and-coming group of lawyers. Find out more about sponsorship opportunities.
Children's Assistance Fund
The ISBA YLD Children's Assistance Fund awards grants to 501(c)(3) organizations serving the State of Illinois. Bar Associations, though 501(c)(6) organizations, are encouraged to apply for project support. Find out more about the Children's Assistance Fund
YLD on Facebook
- Message From the YLD Chair
- A Message From Your Editor
- So You Got a Railroad Worker Case?
- Depositions in the Time of COVID-19
- ‘They Didn’t Teach This in Law School’: Five Tips for New and Young Attorneys That Can Help Build Confidence in Practicing Illinois Law While Adding Value to Your Firm
- Cranberry Scones: From Ingredients in Your Pantry