Diversity Matters Newsletter
Free ABA publications help law firm leaders, general counsel promote pay equity
Illinois Law and Leadership Institute
The Illinois Law and Leadership Institute is a summer enrichment program for students entering the 9th grade. The program is designed to increase academic aspirations by exposing students to interesting aspects of the law, and introducing them to a variety of careers in the legal field.
Find out more about the Illinois Law and Leadership Institute
- Diversity Leadership Council
- Standing Committee on Disability Law
- Standing Committee on Diversity Pipeline
- Standing Committee on Racial and Ethnic Minorities and the Law
- Standing Committee on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Standing Committee on Women and the Law
- Human Rights Section
- International and Immigration Law Section
The Illinois State Bar Association is committed to the twin values of diversity and inclusion, both within the organization and in the legal profession as a whole. We value the contributions, creativity, and wisdom that emanate from a diverse membership and we are committed to ensuring that the law gives due respect to the full spectrum of perspectives and experiences of a multi-cultural society.
We recognize, however, that while the legal profession has made great strides towards promoting diversity, there is still much work to be done. In 2007, the ISBA appointed a Task Force on Diversity to evaluate how best to advance the ISBA’s diversity goals. After completing the first-ever statewide diversity survey in 2008, the Task Force offered a number of proposals to move the ISBA’s diversity agenda forward, including:
- Launch of the first ISBA Diversity Website
- Continuation of the Diversity Matters newsletter
- Development of a Diversity Leadership Award recognizing significant contributions by individuals or organizations in advancing diversity
- Development of a Diversity Leadership Institute to increase diversity with the ISBA
- Creation of a 100 Future Leaders Diversity Pipeline Project to increase diversity in the legal profession as a whole
The Task Force also recommended that the ISBA reorganize its diversity-related committees and section councils under the umbrella of a new Diversity Leadership Council to coordinate committee work and outreach efforts. The Council began its work during the 2009-2010 term. Links to the affiliated committees and section councils appears in the box to the right, along with a complete copy of the Diversity Task Force’s Final Report and other diversity-related publications.