The ISBA offers two great ways for the public to find an ISBA member lawyer: Illinois Lawyer Finder (our online directory) and our phone-based Lawyer Referral Service.
Illinois Lawyer Finder is the ISBA's online, public-facing member directory. A free “Basic Profile” is included for all ISBA members (except judges and government attorneys; see below), and members' names and business information is viewable by the public unless they choose to keep it private (see below). Members can also opt to upgrade to an expanded “Profile Plus” for either a $10/month or $110/year subscription (see below).
The public can go to Illinois Lawyer Finder and search the directory to find an ISBA member to serve their legal needs. The directory is part of a national, online public lawyer directory operated by CloudLaw, a public benefit corporation. The directory also includes members of the State Bar of Michigan, the Indiana State Bar Association, and the State Bar of Georgia.
Basic Profile v. Profile Plus
ISBA members (except judges and government attorneys; see below) have access to a free Basic Profile on Illinois Lawyer Finder. In addition, members have the option to upgrade to an expanded Profile Plus for either a $10/month or $110/year subscription. Here is what you get to post on your profile with each:
- Basic Profile: Up to 5 different practice areas and your contact information, education history, title, and photo.
- Profile Plus: An unlimited number of practice areas and your contact information, biography, education history, employment history, awards, affiliations, speaking engagements, payment options, online appointment scheduling, publications authored, and much more. In addition to these expanded posting options, Profile Plus also includes analytics reporting to help track potential clients’ engagement with your profile, and to see how the directory is used as a whole.
The analytics included with Profile Plus will help you understand how potential clients searching for a lawyer are engaging with your business card (the “business cards” are the first thing they see in their results when they do a search) and your profile (which is what they see when they move from your business card to your more detailed information). You will know how many times both have been clicked, and whether they are clicking on your reviews, linking to your home web site, and other select information. In addition, you will see what the search activity has been in Illinois for your first three practice areas for the most recent 90-day period and what the most actively searched practice areas are statewide. Additional data will be added to the analytics feature in the near future and you will receive this information automatically, at no additional charge, as a Profile Plus subscriber.
How to Edit Your Free Basic Profile
- Log into your account.
- Verify the accuracy of the information in the “Your Addresses” area on your account page.
- Click on the “EDIT” button within your "Online Public Directory Settings" area.
- You have the option to choose: (1) Directory Profile Viewable by Public; (2) Directory Profile Only Viewable by Other Lawyers; and (3) No Directory Profile.
- Click on the "View & Edit Your Directory Profile" button to be taken to your profile on Illinois Lawyer Finder.
- On the directory's Edit Profile page, you should:
- Upload a profile photo by clicking on the camera icon on the top left.
- Select and rank up to 5 practice areas.
- View your profile by clicking on "Actions" in the navigation at the top of your screen and then selecting "View Profile."
How to Upgrade to Profile Plus
- Log into the ISBA website.
- At the top of the page, click on the “Welcome Back” button and then select “Illinois Lawyer Finder Dashboard” from the dropdown menu.
- On the Dashboard page, click on “Edit Profile” towards the bottom of the left-side navigation menu.
- On the Edit Profile page, click on "Upgrade to Profile Plus" towards the top of the left-side navigation menu.
- On the Upgrade page, select your preferred subscription option ($10/month or $110/year), enter your billing and payment information, and click on “Buy Now.”
- After your payment is processed, you will be sent to the page to edit your Profile Plus.
Judges and Government Attorneys
For members who are judges or government attorneys, we have defaulted your Basic Profile's visibility setting to "No Directory Profile." If you would like your Basic Profile to appear in the directory, simply follow the steps outlined above and change your "Online Public Directory Settings" to either "Directory Profile Viewable by the Public" or "Directory Profile Only Viewable by Other Lawyers."
How to Remove a Profile from the Directory
Log into your account and click on the "EDIT" button in the area titled "Online Public Directory Settings," open the drop-down menu for "Public Profile View," select "No Directory Profile," and hit "Save." Your profile will then be removed from the directory within 20-30 minutes.
Lawyer Referral Service
ISBA members in good standing in the Illinois bar who carry professional liability insurance and authorize the ISBA to confirm their registration status can become Lawyer Referral Service members. We offer a basic and a premium option.
Premium members have their names and contact information given out to consumers who call the ISBA's live operators seeking paid legal assistance in specific areas of the law. The ISBA advertises this service to the public throughout Illinois. Each month, lawyer referral service operators provide hundreds of referrals. See updates about how many phone referrals are made by the Lawyer Referral Service.
In addition, to receiving phone referrals, Premium member also receive the following benefits related to the Illinois Lawyer Finder Online Directory:
- Profiles in the Illinois Lawyer Finder Online Directory will carry a special designation on their Illinois Lawyer Finder public directory page alerting potential clients that they carry liability insurance and have agreed to provide the special initial consultation fee of $25 for 30 minutes.
- Consumers will be able to filter their directory search results by Lawyer Referral Service members.
- Be able to access personalized assistance from the ISBA when they have questions about the Illinois Lawyer Finder public directory.
Premium Lawyer Referral Service membership is $50
Basic members will carry a special designation on their Illinois Lawyer Finder public directory page alerting potential clients that they carry liability insurance and are in good standing with the ARDC.
Consumers will be able to filter their directory search results by Lawyer Referral Service members.
Finally, Basic members will be able to access personalized assistance from the ISBA when they have questions about the Illinois Lawyer Finder public directory.
Basic Lawyer Referral Service membership is free.