The Bar Elections Supervision Committee is established by the formal ISBA Policy and Procedures on Association Elections and has broad independent authority to supervise ISBA elections. It has a number of specific election related tasks but is also responsible for hearing formal written complaints about Election Policy violations and election challenges. Its rulings are final and not subject to appeal. It is made up of five Assembly members who are not also Board of Governors.
Findings and Rulings
On March 17, 2021, in response to a formal complaint, the Committee found that: (1) campaign material from a non-candidate in support of a candidate was not subject to the labelling requirements of Election Policy paragraph 4.6; (2) in the absence of any information suggesting that a campaign advertisement or communication was developed by or at the specific request of a candidate, a non-candidate’s use of an ISBA title in a campaign advertisement or communication in support of a candidate did not violate Election Policy paragraph 4.7; and (3) a current Board of Governor or ISBA officer does not violate Election Policy paragraph 4.7’s prohibition on endorsements when a member of the Board of Governor’s or ISBA officer’s firm sends a campaign advertisement or communication in support of a candidate that includes the firm’s name and address block which prominently reflects the name of the current Board of Governor or ISBA Officer. No issue was raised claiming that the Board member approved or participated in the endorsement by the associate.
On December 16, 2019, in response to a formal complaint, the Committee affirmed the prohibition on ISBA candidates speaking as presenters at ISBA CLE during the election season (October 1 through April 30)
[N.B. – On June 19, 2020, the Assembly amended ISBA Policy and Procedures on Association Elections paragraph 4.5(c) to allow ISBA candidates to participate in ISBA CLE as long as the candidate does not use the participation as a vehicle for campaigning.]
- Sally K. Kolb, Land of Lincoln Legal Aid, Champaign, Chair
- Daniel J. Heywood, Maher Brannigan & Heywood PC, Chicago, Member
- John V. Kalantzis, Clifford Law Offices, Chicago, Member
- Ashonta C. Rice, Akiwowo Law Group PC, Orland Park, Member
- Michael S. Strauss, Strauss & Hoyt, LLC, Libertyville, Member
- Charles J. Northrup, Illinois State Bar Association, Springfield, General Counsel
- Robert E. Craghead, Illinois State Bar Association, Springfield, Staff Liaison
- Brenda Todt, Illinois State Bar Association, Springfield, Staff Liaison
- Kimberly Weaver, Illinois State Bar Association, Springfield, Staff Liaison