Illinois State Bar Association’s High School Mock Trial Invitational To Take Place March 14 – 15 in Champaign
Teams from 42 high schools from throughout Illinois will participate in the 33rd annual Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) High School Mock Trial Invitational on March 14 & 15, 2015, at the University of Illinois College of Law in Champaign.
The top eight teams will compete in the final round on March 15, for the state championship. The winner will represent Illinois at the National High School Mock Trial Championship in Raleigh, North Carolina.
“The Invitational is civics education on steroids,” says Hon. Michael J. Chmiel, of Woodstock, chair of the ISBA’s Standing Committee on Law Related Education for the Public, which conducts the program. “It provides students and their families with a unique opportunity to learn about our legal system from the trenches – thanks go to the ISBA, the University of Illinois, and many volunteer lawyers and judges for providing this opportunity.”
Each 10-member team tries both sides – plaintiff and defense – of a hypothetical case developed by the ISBA Committee. This year’s case is People of the State of Illinois vs. Casey Jones, a criminal case in which the defendant is charged with home invasion and aggravated battery in connection with a break-in at the home of the defendant’s former paramour.
Students will assume the roles of attorneys and witnesses, and a panel of Illinois lawyers and judges, along with members of the ISBA Law Related Education Committee, will rate the students' performance. The students must also take a written test about the issues of the case and basic legal principles.
The High School Mock Trial Invitational has been conducted each year since 1982 by the ISBA to provide Illinois high school students an interesting and challenging way to gain insight into the American judicial system. Co-sponsors of the 2015 event are Illinois LEARN, Inc.; the Illinois Trial Team of the University of Illinois; and the University of Illinois College of Law.
The 33,000-member ISBA (isba.org), with offices in Springfield and Chicago, provides professional services to Illinois lawyers, and education and services to the public through a website (illinoislawyerfinder.com), consumer brochures, and distribution of legal information.
# # #
NOTE: LIST OF PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS FOLLOWS.
Members of the media are welcome to cover any portion of the mock trials over the two-day period.
Illinois State Bar Association 33rd Annual Mock Trial Invitational
March 14-15, 2015 · University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign
1. Oak Park and River Forest High School – Oak Park
2. Hinsdale Central High School – Hinsdale
3. York Community High School – Elmhurst
4. Guerin College Prep – River Grove
5. De La Salle Institute – Chicago
6. Highland Park High School – Highland Park
7. Homewood-Flossmoor High School – Flossmoor
8. Carmel Catholic High School – Mundelein
9. Normal Community West High School – Normal
10. St. Charles North High School – St. Charles
11. Maine South High School – Park Ridge
12. O’Fallon Township High School – O’Fallon
13. Willowbrook High School – Villa Park
14. Niles West High School – Skokie
15. Hinsdale South High School – Darien
16. Glenbard East High School – Lombard
17. Providence Catholic High School – New Lenox
18. Mount Carmel High School – Chicago
19. Naperville North High School – Naperville
20. Mt. Vernon Township High School – Mt. Vernon
21. Salem Community High School – Salem
22. Bartlett High School – Bartlett
23. Huntley Consolidated High School – Huntley
24. Rich Central High School – Olympia Fields
25. Benet Academy – Lisle
26. Mundelein High School – Mundelein
27. Normal Community High School – Normal
28. Bloomington High School – Bloomington
29. Boylan Catholic High School – Rockford
30. St. Charles East High School – St. Charles
31. Timothy Christian High School – Elmhurst
32. Pittsfield High School – Pittsfield
33. Libertyville High School – Libertyville
34. Illinois Math & Science Academy – Aurora
35. College Preparatory School of America – Lombard
36. Thornton Fractional North High School – Calumet City
37. Glenbard South High School – Glen Ellyn
38. Lexington High School – Lexington
39. Wheaton Academy – West Chicago
40. Roxana High School – Roxana
41. Chicago Christian High School – Palos Heights
42. Law Explorer Post #1 – Springfield
# # #