Illinois State Bar Association’s High School Mock Trial Invitational To Take Place April 2 – 3 in Champaign
Teams from 37 high schools from throughout Illinois will participate in the 34th annual Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) High School Mock Trial Invitational on April 2 & 3, 2016, at the University of Illinois College of Law in Champaign.
The top eight teams will compete in the final round on April 3, for the state championship. The winner will represent Illinois at the National High School Mock Trial Championship in Boise, Idaho.
“The Mock Trial Invitational gives high school students an opportunity to experience our legal system from a unique perspective - the inside,” said Raquel G. (Rocky) Martinez, chair of the ISBA’s Standing Committee on Law Related Education for the Public. “Civics education is at risk as schools increase the time devoted to math, science and language arts to meet federal and state standards. The ISBA promotes knowledge of the judicial branch of government in Illinois through this high-level state-wide contest and it would not be possible without the lawyers and judges who volunteer their time. Those interested in learning more about this competition, or our various civics education programs, are welcomed to visit the LRE website at ILCivics.org.”
Each 10-member team tries both sides – plaintiff and defense – of a hypothetical case developed by the ISBA Committee. This year’s case is Pat Dunn v. Chris Davies, a civil case in which the defendant is charged with negligence and battery in connection with a dispute between two hockey players during a semi-professional hockey game.
Students will assume the roles of attorneys and witnesses, and a panel of Illinois lawyers and judges, along with members of the ISBA Law Related Education Committee, will rate the students' performance. The students must also take a written test about the issues of the case and basic legal principles.
The High School Mock Trial Invitational has been conducted each year since 1982 by the ISBA to provide Illinois high school students an interesting and challenging way to gain insight into the American judicial system. Co-sponsors of the 2016 event are Illinois LEARN, Inc. and the Illinois Trial Team of the University of Illinois.
The Illinois State Bar Association is a voluntary organization of 33,000 members that provides professional services to Illinois lawyers and education and services to the public. For more information, visit isba.org.
NOTE: LIST OF PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS FOLLOWS.
Members of the media are welcome to cover any portion of the mock trials over the two-day period.
Illinois State Bar Association 34th Annual Mock Trial Invitational
April 2-3, 2016 · University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign
1. Bartlett High School - Bartlett
2. Carmel Catholic High School - Mundelein
3. Evanston Township High School - Evanston
4. Hinsdale Central High School - Hinsdale
5. Hinsdale South High School - Darien
6. Maine South High School – Park Ridge
7. Niles West High School - Skokie
8. Normal Community West High School - Normal
9. St. Charles North High School – St. Charles
10. Timothy Christian High School - Elmhurst
11. Willowbrook High School – Villa Park
12. Maine West High School – Des Plaines
13. York Community High School - Elmhurst
14. Huntley High School - Huntley
15. Glenbard South High School – Glen Ellyn
16. O’Fallon Township High School – O’Fallon
17. Mundelein High School - Mundelein
18. Boylan Catholic High School - Rockford
19. Chicago Christian High School – Palos Heights
20. Thornton Fractional North High School – Calumet City
21. Libertyville High School - Libertyville
22. Glenbard East High School - Lombard
23. Providence Catholic High School – New Lenox
24. Whitney M. Young Magnet - Chicago
25. Mt. Vernon Township High School – Mt. Vernon
26. Niles North High School - Skokie
27. De La Salle Institute - Chicago
28. Homewood-Flossmoor High School - Flossmoor
29. Benet Academy - Lisle
30. Oak Park River Forest High School – Oak Park
31. Law Explorer Post #1 - Springfield
32. St. Charles East High School – St. Charles
33. Wheaton Academy – West Chicago
34. Normal Community High School - Normal
35. Hillcrest High School- Country Club Hill
36. Highland Park High School – Highland Park
37. Naperville North - Naperville
# # #