Illinois State Bar Association’s High School Mock Trial Invitational to Take Place March 24-25 in Champaign
SPRINGFIELD, IL, March 9, 2018 –Teams from 41 high schools throughout the state will participate in the 36th annual Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) High School Mock Trial Invitational on March 24-25, 2018, at the University of Illinois College of Law in Champaign.
The top eight teams will compete in the final round on March 25, for the state championship. The winner will represent Illinois at the National High School Mock Trial Championship in Reno, Nevada.
"The Invitational provides high school students throughout the state with a unique opportunity to learn about the justice system and participate in a friendly competition with their peers to put what they have learned into practice. The students do not only begin to develop legal skills, they also develop public speaking skills, confidence, and professionalism. These skills will ultimately help students achieve their higher education and career goals,” says Kateah McMasters, of Peoria, chair of the ISBA’s Standing Committee on Law Related Education for the Public, which administers the program.
Each team tries both sides – plaintiff and defense – of a hypothetical case developed by the ISBA Committee. This year’s case is Grant v Smith, a civil suit alleging the use of excessive force during an arrest.
Students will assume the roles of attorneys and witnesses, and a panel of Illinois lawyers and judges, along with members of the ISBA Law Related Education Committee, will evaluate and score the students' performances. The students must also take a written test about the issues of the case and basic legal principles.
The High School Mock Trial Invitational has been conducted each year since 1982 by the ISBA to provide Illinois high school students an interesting and challenging way to gain insight into the American judicial system. The 2018 event is co-administered by the Illinois Trial Team of the University of Illinois undergraduate program, and co-sponsored by Illinois LEARN, Inc. The Committee on Law-Related Education for the Public thanks the University of Illinois College of Law for the generous use of its facility for the event.
The Illinois State Bar Association is a voluntary organization of 30,000 members that provides professional services to Illinois lawyers and education and services to the public. For more information, visit isba.org.
NOTE: LIST OF PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS FOLLOWS.
Members of the media are welcome to cover any portion of the mock trials over the two-day period.
Illinois State Bar Association 36th Annual Mock Trial Invitational
March 24-25, 2018 · University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign
- Bartlett HS - Bartlett
- Boylan Central Catholic HS - Rockford
- Caramel Catholic HS - Mundelein
- Champaign Centennial - Champaign
- Chicago Christian HS - Palos Height
- College Preparatory School of America - Lombard
- De La Salle - Chicago
- Evanston Township HS - Evanston
- Glenbard East HS - Lombard
- Glenbard South HS - Glen Ellyn
- Highland Park HS - Highland Park
- Hinsdale Central HS - Hinsdale
- Hinsdale South HS - Darien
- Homewood-Flossmoor HS - Flossmoor
- Huntley HS - Huntley
- Illinois Mathematics & Science Academy - Aurora
- John Hersey HS - Arlington Heights
- Libertyville HS - Libertyville
- Maine South HS - Park Ridge
- Maine Township HS West - Des Plaines
- Mt. Vernon Township HS - Mt. Vernon
- Naperville North HS - Naperville
- Niles North HS - Skokie
- Niles West HS - Skokie
- Normal West HS - Normal
- Northridge Preparatory School - Niles
- Oak Park River Forest HS - Oak Park
- O’Fallon Township HS - O’Fallon
- Pittsfield HS - Pittsfield
- Providence Catholic HS - New Lenox
- Rich Central HS - Olympia Fields
- Rich South HS - Richton Park
- Salem Community HS - Salem
- South Elgin HS - South Elgin
- St. Charles East HS - St. Charles
- St. Charles North HS - St. Charles
- Timothy Christian HS - Elmhurst
- Wheaton Academy - West Chicago
- Whitney M. Young Magnet HS - Chicago
- Willowbrook HS - Villa Park
- York Community HS - Elmhurst
# # #