Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2022–23 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2022–23 bar year.
- Community members: 299
- Total discussion posts: 9
- Community members: 25,498
- Total discussion posts: 582
- Community members: 25,497
- Total discussion posts: 1,794
The Section Council reviewed 13 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- Senate Bill 133 amends the Public Construction Bond Act to provide that a local governmental unit may not withhold retainage of more than 5% from any payment to a contractor who furnishes the bond or bond substitute required by the Act and that the contractor and its subcontractors may not withhold retainage of more than 5% from their subcontractors.
- Senate Bill 1704 amends the Mechanics Lien Act to provide that a written notice of a claim and the amount due or to become due by a subcontractor, or parties furnishing labor or materials shall be provided to the owner of record and, if known, to the project lender.