Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2022–23 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2022–23 bar year.
Privacy and Information Security Law
- Community members: 318
- Total discussion posts: 3
- Community members: 25,498
- Total discussion posts: 582
- Community members: 25,497
- Total discussion posts: 1,794
The Section Council reviewed 20 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- House Bill 2123 creates a new cause of action against any person who creates or distributes a digitally altered sexual image (deepfake) of an individual without their consent. It amends the Civil Remedies for Nonconsensual Dissemination of Private Sexual Images Act.
- House Bill 2335 Amends the Biometric Information Privacy Act. Among other changes, it provides that if the biometric identifier or biometric information is collected or captured for the same repeated process, the private entity is only required to inform the subject or receive consent during the initial collection.