Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2020–21 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2020–21 bar year.
Privacy and Information Security Law
- Community members: 342
- Total discussion posts: 7
- Community members: 25,879
- Total discussion posts: 958
- Community members: 25,867
- Total discussion posts: 1,739
The Section Council reviewed 40 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- House Bill 3453 creates the Geolocation Privacy Protection Act to provide that a private entity that owns, operates, or controls a location-based application on a user’s device may not disclose geolocation information from a location-based application to a third party without the user’s affirmative express consent.
- House Bill 2553 creates the Protecting Household Privacy Act.
- Senate Bill 56 makes limitations on the Biometric Information Privacy Act.