Registration is now open for the 2019 Annual Meeting, which will be held at the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, from June 13-15. Early bird deadline is 4:30 p.m. on May 31.
May is Member Appreciation Month, and we’re celebrating you with freebies, prizes, and discounts! Take a look at what we have planned for you.
In This Issue…
- From the chair
A note from the chair of the Senior Lawyers Section Council, Pat Leston.
- Book review: ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’
A review of the book ‘Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI’ by David Grann.
- CLE review of ‘Winding Down: A Primer for the Retiring Attorney and Disaster Planning for Younger and Solo Practitioners’
A summary of the recent CLE, ‘Winding Down: A Primer for the Retiring Attorney and Disaster Planning for Younger and Solo Practitioners.'
- Burned out? Overwhelmed? Meet Dr. Diana Uchiyama and the Illinois Lawyers’ Assistance Program
An interview with Dr. Diana Uchiyama, the executive director of the Illinois Lawyers’ Assistance Program.
- This is when you know it may be time to ‘hang it up’ as a lawyer
Signs it is time to consider retiring from the practice of law.
- Financial exploitation of the elderly: An overview
Financial exploitation of the elderly falls into two general categories: fraud by strangers and exploitation by family and caregivers.
- Planning for the long term
When planning for retirement, medical expenses, long-term care, and possible nursing home stays might not be the first thing that pops into someone’s mind. However, these costs might take the biggest bite out your budget.
- Tangential relationships for the ‘winding down’ attorney: co-counsel, of counsel, referring attorney, tenant, etc.
Oftentimes, a lawyer who is ready to quit the practice of law elects to downsize rather than completely shutdown, often entering into an agreement with another firm or lawyer. These relationships, however, create the very real risk of vicarious malpractice liability.
Disclaimer: This newsletter is for subscribers’ personal use only; redistribution is prohibited. Copyright Illinois State Bar Association. Statements or expressions of opinion appearing herein are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the Association or Editors, and likewise the publication of any advertisement is not to be construed as an endorsement of the product or service offered unless it is specifically stated in the ad that there is such approval or endorsement.