ISBA Awards to be presented at 139th Annual Meeting
The Illinois State Bar Association will present several awards recognizing individuals for their commitment and service to the profession and their communities at an Awards Luncheon on Friday, June 19, at the organization’s 139th Annual Meeting in Lake Geneva, Wis. Award recipients are:
- Excellence in Legal Education Award: IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Board of Governors Award: Judge Michael J. Chmiel, of Woodstock; Ruth Ann Schmitt, executive director, Lawyers Trust Fund of Illinois, in Chicago; and Timothy J. Storm, of the Storm Law Office, in Barrington.
- Elmer Gertz Award for Human Rights: Mary Meg McCarthy, executive director, National Immigrant Justice Center, in Chicago.
- Matthew Maloney Tradition of Excellence Award: Myles L. Jacobs, partner, Brumund, Jacobs, Hammel, Davidson & Andreano, LLC, in Joliet.
- Community Leadership Award: John Knight, director of the LGBT and HIV Project, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Illinois, in Chicago, and regional senior staff attorney, national ACLU.
- John C. McAndrews Pro Bono Service Award: Foley Lardner, in Chicago; Kavanagh, Scully, Sudow, White & Frederick, in Peoria; Tanja M. Cook, Lueders, Robertson & Konzen LLC, in Granite City; and the Madison County Bar Association, in Edwardsville.
- Joseph R. Bartylak Memorial Legal Services Award: Linda Zazove, deputy director for programs and advocacy, Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation, in East St. Louis, Ill.
- Roz Kaplan Government Service Award: Kathryn A. Kelly, Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office, in Chicago.
- Diversity Leadership Award: Sonni Choi Williams, Deputy Corporation Counsel for the city of Peoria.
- Young Lawyers of the Year: Tejas Shah, Kreizelman Burton & Associates, in Chicago, and Timothy Ting, Office of the Jackson County Public Defender, in Murphysboro.
- Law Student Division Public Service Award: Abigail Leinsdorf, third year law student, Northwestern University School of Law.
- Austin Fleming Newsletter Editor Award: Julie Ann Sebastian, of Chicago, an Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney, Administrative Law Newsletter.