Now every article is the start of a discussion. If you're a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, you can comment on any of the articles that appear below.
In This Issue…
- Diversity Leadership Council—Report from the Chair
An introduction from Chair Alice Noble-Allgire.
- Editor’s comments
A note from Editor E. Lynn Grayson.
- Keynote remarks of Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan at the ISBA’s Midyear Meeting program “Lincoln’s Legacy: Lawyers Protecting Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness”
A transcript of the Attorney General's address at the ISBA's Midyear Meeting.
- E. Lynn Grayson’s Introduction of Judge George Leighton receiving the ISBA Diversity Leadership Award
An description of the ISBA Diversity Leadership Award and background of its first recipient, Hon. George N. Leighton.
- Carrying on Lincoln’s legacy: Lawyers who are making a difference today
Four distinguished Illinois attorneys shared their stories as part of the ISBA’s Midyear Meeting program, “Lincoln’s Legacy: Lawyers Protecting Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.”
- The Alliance of Illinois Judges
Established in 2009 by 15 Cook County judges who openly identify themselves as gay or lesbian, the Alliance of Illinois Judges seeks to promote the administration of justice and to improve the legal profession.
- The Unity Dinner and Annual Bar President’s Swearing-In Ceremony unites the legal community in a celebration of diversity
More than 50 area bar associations came together for the 2009 Unity Award Dinner and Seventh Annual Bar Presidents Swearing-In Ceremony.
- Continuing a proud tradition
Since it first began in 1993, the Korean American Bar Association of Chicago has undergone tremendous growth and change.
- Justice Albie Sachs’ book: The Strange Alchemy of Life and Law
A description of the memoir by Justice Albie Sachs, who in 1994 was appointed to the Constitutional Court of South Africa by Nelson Mandela.
- The commitment to diversity should be a badge worn every day
The Annual Diversity Luncheon has been one of the Peoria County Bar Association's most well-attended and successful events. But if statistics are any indicators, there's still have a long way to go to ensure diversity in the legal profession.
- The Chicago Committee Mentorship Academy: A Model for Mentoring Diverse Associates
The Chicago Committee Mentorship Academy launched in 2008, and uses a non-traditional model to help new associates find success and fulfillment in their legal practice.
- Celebrating Women in the Legal Profession: Remembering the Past and Reaching Out to the Future
The ISBA’s “Celebrating Women in the Profession” luncheon was held on March 9, 2010.
- Illinois’ legal community unites to raise over $100,000 for Haiti rebuilding efforts
On March 31, approximately 400 lawyers from the Illinois legal community joined together for an evening in support of charities working in Haiti to rebuild a country shattered by the loss of over 200,000 people as a result of the recent earthquake.
- Obama Administration Outreach to Chicago Legal Community
On November 2nd, Chicago welcomed back its own Kareem A. Dale, Special Assistant to President Obama, to address issues of concern to the Chicago legal community.
- Update from the Chair of the Standing Committee on Racial and Ethnic Minorities and the Law
The mission of the Standing Committee has been focused on educating and creating awareness of issues impacting racial and ethnic minorities.
- Update from the Chair of the Women and the Law Committee 2009-2010
The Chair provides insight into the Committee's accomplishments this year.
- Chicago Foundation for Women
A summary of comments made by Kelly White, Executive Director of the Chicago Foundation for Women, at its 24th Annual Luncheon on September 24, 2009.
LIVE WEB - Cannabis 101: Advising Your Illinois Clients on the Cannabis Industry
December 12 | Webcast
Disclaimer: This newsletter is for subscribers’ personal use only; redistribution is prohibited. Copyright Illinois State Bar Association. Statements or expressions of opinion appearing herein are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the Association or Editors, and likewise the publication of any advertisement is not to be construed as an endorsement of the product or service offered unless it is specifically stated in the ad that there is such approval or endorsement.