Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2022–23 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2022–23 bar year.
- Community members: 1,142
- Total discussion posts: 37
Criminal - DUI - Traffic
- Community members: 2,187
- Total discussion posts: 1,128
- Community members: 25,498
- Total discussion posts: 582
- Community members: 25,497
- Total discussion posts: 1,794
The Section Council reviewed 147 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- House Bill 3253 expands the definition of “protected person” in provisions prohibiting certain deceptive tactics during custodial interrogation to include persons with severe or profound intellectual or developmental disabilities.
- Senate Bill 2260 amends the post-conviction statute to provide that a movant may present a meritorious claim if the allegations establish by a preponderance of the evidence that there was substantial evidence of domestic violence or “gender-based violence” against the movant that was not presented at the movant’s sentencing hearing.
- House Bill 2389 amends the Illinois Vehicle Code to provide that no motor vehicle may be stopped or searched by a law enforcement officer solely because of a suspected violation of driving a motor vehicle with an object placed or suspended between the driver and the front windshield that materially obstructs the driver’s view.