Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Live Programs: 11
Bills Reviewed: 344
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2021–22 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Members of Criminal Justice section and Traffic Laws and Courts section also get access to the Criminal - DUI - Traffic community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2021–22 bar year.
- Community members: 1,188
- Total discussion posts: 31
Criminal - DUI - Traffic
- Community members: 2,218
- Total discussion posts: 1,705
- Community members: 24,024
- Total discussion posts: 740
- Community members: 24,028
- Total discussion posts: 1,962
The Section Council reviewed 344 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- House Bill 1091 creates the offense of organized retail crime.
- Senate Bill 3007 adds violations of the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act to the list of reasons for a driver’s license to be revoked.
- Senate Bill 2942 authorizes the court to exclude from the proceedings while the victim is testifying anyone who does not have a direct interest in the case if the alleged victim was under 18 years of age at the time of the offense.