Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2020–21 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2020–21 bar year.
- Community members: 281
- Total discussion posts: 1
- Community members: 25,879
- Total discussion posts: 958
- Community members: 25,867
- Total discussion posts: 1,739
The Section Council reviewed 171 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- House Bill 2908 creates an elected school board for Chicago public schools.
- House Bill 15 amends the School Code to require the larger school districts to notify parents or guardians of disciplinary action against their children.
- House Bill 40 allows children receiving special education services to continue to receive them through the end of the school year instead of being cut off when they turn 22 years of age.