ISBA Members, please login first to join this section.
- To enhance the knowledge and professional capabilities of lawyers who devote their time to the practice of tort law in all its substantive branches both on behalf of Plaintiffs and Defendants;
- To disseminate current tort law information, such as proposed legislation and case law to members and explain any impact it may have on members’ tort practices;
- To educate tort practitioners in the substantive branches of tort law through continuing legal education programs Tort Trends publications, and use of its listservs;
- To promote diversity among its membership;
- To encourage mentoring programs in conjunction with the young lawyers division encouraging and offering advise to younger lawyers desiring to investigate the practice of tort law;
- To promote and encourage the professional, civil, and ethical practice of tort law at all times; and
- To promote improvements in the tort system, to protect the rights of tort litigants, and ensure the administration of justice.
(approved by the Section Council on October 15, 2010)
- Editor’s note
- A strategy to address the phantom causation defense in light of Campbell v. Autenrieb
- High-low, high-low, it’s off to court we go! The basics of high-low agreements
Recent Related Cases
Illinois Appellate Court / CivilSummary Judgment | 3d Dist.
Biancorosso v. Troy Community Consolidated School District No. 30C, 2019 IL App (3d) 180613 (August 29, 2019) Will Co. (O'BRIEN) Affirmed.
Illinois Appellate Court / CivilNegligence | 1st Dist.
Garland v. Sybaris Clubs International, Inc., 2019 IL App (1st) 180682 (August 28, 2019) Cook Co., 3rd Div, (FITZGERALD SMITH) Affirmed.
Illinois Appellate Court / CivilAccountant Malpractice | 1st Dist.
Atlas v. Mayer Hoffman McCann, P.C., 2019 IL App (1st) 180939 (August 26, 2019) Cook Co., 4th Div, (REYES) Affirmed.
Illinois Appellate Court / CivilPersonal Jurisdiction | 1st Dist.
Schaefer v. Synergy Flight Center, LLC, 2019 IL App (1st) 181779 (August 26, 2019) Cook Co., 1st Div. (WALKER) Affirmed.
Illinois Appellate Court / CivilSummary Judgment | 1st Dist.
Winston v. City of Chicago, 2019 IL App (1st) 181419 (August 16, 2019) Cook Co., 6th Div, (HARRIS) Reversed and remanded.
Tools and Resources
- Tort Law discussion group is available to section members via the Tort Law community in ISBA Central
- The Tort Law Section directory is available to all ISBA members
- Useful links
Illinois Law Consumer Videos
Videos produced in cooperation with ISBA Sections and Committees. See all Illinois Law videos on YouTube.