ISBA Members, please login first to join this section.
- To enhance the knowledge and professional capabilities of lawyers who devote their time to the practice of tort law in all its substantive branches both on behalf of Plaintiffs and Defendants;
- To disseminate current tort law information, such as proposed legislation and case law to members and explain any impact it may have on members’ tort practices;
- To educate tort practitioners in the substantive branches of tort law through continuing legal education programs Tort Trends publications, and use of its listservs;
- To promote diversity among its membership;
- To encourage mentoring programs in conjunction with the young lawyers division encouraging and offering advise to younger lawyers desiring to investigate the practice of tort law;
- To promote and encourage the professional, civil, and ethical practice of tort law at all times; and
- To promote improvements in the tort system, to protect the rights of tort litigants, and ensure the administration of justice.
(approved by the Section Council on October 15, 2010)
- Editor’s note
- A strategy to address the phantom causation defense in light of Campbell v. Autenrieb
- High-low, high-low, it’s off to court we go! The basics of high-low agreements
Recent Related Cases
Federal 7th Circuit / CivilProducts Liability | N.D. Ind., Hammond Div.
Kaiser v. Johnson & Johnson, No. 18-2944 (January 14, 2020) Affirmed
Illinois Appellate Court / CivilSettlements | 1st Dist.
Daniels v. John Crane, Inc., 2019 IL App (1st) 190170 (December 19, 2019) Cook Co., 4th Div. (REYES) Affirmed.
Federal 7th Circuit / CivilNegligence | S.D. Ind., Indianapolis Div.
Waldon v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., No. 19-1529 (November 26, 2019) Affirmed
Federal 7th Circuit / CivilComparative Negligence | S.D. Ill.
Clanton v. U.S., No. 18-3060 (November 7, 2019) Vacated and remanded
Federal 7th Circuit / CivilMedical Malpractice | S.D. Ill.
Young v. U.S., No. 18-3415 (November 4, 2019) Affirmed
Tools and Resources
- Tort Law discussion group is available to section members via the Tort Law community in ISBA Central
- The Tort Law Section directory is available to all ISBA members
- Useful links
Illinois Law Consumer Videos
Videos produced in cooperation with ISBA Sections and Committees. See all Illinois Law videos on YouTube.