- To enhance the knowledge and professional capabilities of lawyers who devote their time to the practice of tort law in all its substantive branches both on behalf of Plaintiffs and Defendants;
- To disseminate current tort law information, such as proposed legislation and case law to members and explain any impact it may have on members’ tort practices;
- To educate tort practitioners in the substantive branches of tort law through continuing legal education programs Tort Trends publications, and use of its listservs;
- To promote diversity among its membership;
- To encourage mentoring programs in conjunction with the young lawyers division encouraging and offering advise to younger lawyers desiring to investigate the practice of tort law;
- To promote and encourage the professional, civil, and ethical practice of tort law at all times; and
- To promote improvements in the tort system, to protect the rights of tort litigants, and ensure the administration of justice.
(approved by the Section Council on October 15, 2010)
Current Newsletter — December 2016
- Editor’s note
- Can a defendant be compelled to submit to a Rule 215 physical or mental examination?
- 10 things to know about social media
Recent Related Cases
Illinois Supreme Court
Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress
Schweihs v. Chase Home Finance, LLC
Illinois Snow and Ice Removal Act
Murphy-Hylton v. Lieberman Management Services, Inc.
Illinois Appellate Court
Farrell v. Farrell
Peters v. R. Carlson & Sons, Inc.
Health Care Services Lien Act
Barry v. St. Mary's Hospital Decatur
Condon and Cook LLC v. Mavrakis
Eid v. Loyola University Medical Center
7th CircuitExpert Witness
Baugh v. Cuprum S.A. de C.V.
Parker v. Four Seasons Hotels, Ltd.
West Bend Ins. Co. v. Schumacher
Piotrowski v. Menard, Inc.
Suarez v. W.M. Barr & Co., Inc.
Wrongful Death, Survival, and Catastrophic Injury Cases
February 24, 2017 – Chicago
Tools and Resources
- Tort Law Section Directory
- The Tort Law discussion group is available to section members via the My Discussions Groups page.
- Useful links
Illinois Law Consumer Videos
Videos produced in cooperation with ISBA Sections and Committees. See all Illinois Law videos on YouTube.