Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2022–23 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2022–23 bar year.
- Community members: 144
- Total discussion posts: 40
- Community members: 25,498
- Total discussion posts: 582
- Community members: 25,497
- Total discussion posts: 1,794
The Section Council reviewed 24 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- Senate Bill 1499 Adds specified offenses of the Humane Care for Animals Act for which law enforcement making an arrest may take possession of a companion animal.
- House Bill 1049 prohibits insurers from canceling or charging more for homeowner’s or renter’s insurance solely because the insured has a dog of a specific breed or mixture.
- House Bill 2910 provides that a person may not hold an animal in the person's lap while operating a motor vehicle.