- educates the people of Illinois about their human rights and the human rights of others;
- informs the people of Illinois about the impact on such rights by existing or proposed laws, and the policies and actions of governments or other actors;
- assists the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) membership in understanding and protecting the human rights of their clients;
- encourages solidarity between the Illinois bar and all members of the national and international legal profession as a means of strengthening human rights and the rule of law;
- advises the ISBA on issues related to human rights; and
- promotes the legal recognition and protection of human rights.
Current Newsletter — December 2016
- Comments from the Chair
- Justice denied
- The Illinois Supreme Court denies property rights to an unmarried same-sex couple who could not get married – Blumenthal v. Brewer, 2016 IL 118781 (2016)
- Being locked up does not mean being locked out from medical care for serious medical needs which ARE protected by the eighth amendment right to be free from cruel and unusual punishment
Tools and Resources
- Human Rights Section Directory
- The Human Rights discussion group is available to section members via the My Discussions Groups page.
- Useful links
Illinois Law Consumer Videos
Videos produced in cooperation with ISBA Sections and Committees. See all Illinois Law videos on YouTube.