Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2022–23 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2022–23 bar year.
Human and Civil Rights
- Community members: 336
- Total discussion posts: 5
- Community members: 25,498
- Total discussion posts: 582
- Community members: 25,497
- Total discussion posts: 1,794
The Section Council reviewed 19 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- House Bill 3135 amends the Illinois Human Rights Act to make a number of procedural changes to the Act.
- House Bill 2248 creates the Civil Rights Remedies Restoration Act that makes it a violation of this Act if certain sections of certain federal acts are violated.
- Senate Bill 1817 amends Article 3 of the Human Rights Act affecting real estate transactions to include use of a person’s immigration status to trigger the Act unless the inquiry or use complies with State or federal law. It also prohibits a third-party loan modification service provider from using the source of income to discriminate under the Act.