Labor and Employment Law
- to inform section members and the public of important developments in labor law through meetings, newsletters, public appearances, news releases, etc.;
- to review and comment on proposed legislation and regulations in the labor law field;
- to foster opportunity for informal contacts between attorneys representing labor and management to promote increased candor and less contentious relationships between them and their clients; and
- to foster improvement in the efficient and equitable administration of federal and state labor legislation.
Current Newsletter — December 2016
- A short summary of Ortiz v. Werner Enterprises, Inc., 2016 WL 4411434 (7th Cir. 2016)
- Drug-testing after workplace injuries: Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act likely not a workaround to new OSHA rule
- Required exhaustion of remedies in discrimination cases: Good-faith attempts and bureaucratic inaction can be fatal to a claim
- 2016 legislation
Recent Related Cases
Illinois Appellate Court
Boswell v. City of Chicago
Collective Bargaining Agreements
Skokie Firefighters Union v. The Illinois Labor Relations Board
Human Rights Act
Schnitker v. Springfield Urban League, Inc.
7th CircuitEmployment Discrimination
David v. Bd. of Trustees of Community College Dist. No. 508
Cohan v. Medline Industries, Inc.
Fair Labor Standards Act
Berger v. Nat’l Collegiate Athletic Ass’n
Gracia v. Sigmatron International, Inc.
Federal Railroad Safety Act
Koziara v. BNSF Railway Co.
Written Discovery Part 2: Electronic Discovery - How to Seek, Locate, and Secure
February 23, 2017 – Online Course
A New Summary Judgment Standard for Discrimination Cases: Ortiz v. Werner Enterprises, Inc.
March 1, 2017 – Online Course
Jury Selection Techniques and the Use of Jury Focus Groups
March 24, 2017 – Chicago
Tools and Resources
- Labor and Employment Law Section Directory
- The Labor and Employment Law discussion group is available to section members via the My Discussions Groups page.
- Useful links
Practice Pointers from a Human Rights Commission Judge