What is LAWPAC?
The Illinois Lawyers' Political Action Committee was created by action of the Assembly of the Illinois State Bar Association as a means of supporting the legislative goals of the ISBA and the legal profession of Illinois. It is administered by an independent, bi-partisan Board of Trustees whose appointments are subject to the approval of the ISBA Assembly. LAWPAC makes contributions to candidates for nomination or election to the Illinois General Assembly.
How are LAWPAC contributions determined?
The determination of the political contributions to be made in furtherance of the purposes of Illinois LAWPAC are made at the discretion of the Board of Trustees in consultation with the legislative representatives of the ISBA.
How is LAWPAC funded?
LAWPAC relies solely on contributions by lawyers and others interested in the legislative program of the Bar. It does not use ISBA membership dues. Contributions or gifts to LAWPAC are not tax deductible.
Why is LAWPAC necessary for lawyers?
The legislative positions of the legal profession often are opposed by highly organized and well-funded special interest groups and other professions. It is unrealistic for the legal profession to expect to be truly effective with its legislative program unless it is willing to be a full participant in the legislative process.
You need LAWPAC…and LAWPAC needs you!!
A copy of our report filed with the State Board of Elections is (or will be) available on the Board's official website at www.elections.il.gov or for purchase from the State Board of Elections, Springfield, Illinois.
- Heather A. McPherson, McPherson Law Offices, Freeport, Chair
- Justin J. Karubas, Rolewick & Gutzke, P.C., Wheaton, Vice-Chair
- Bridget C. Duignan, Latherow & Duignan, Chicago, Secretary
- Cory White, Milhouse Engineering and Construction Inc, Chicago, Treasurer
- Hon. Barbara L. Crowder, Edwardsville, Member
- Hon. Russell W. Hartigan, Goldstine Skrodzki , Western Springs, Member
- Claire A. Manning, Brown Hay & Stephens LLP, Springfield, Member
- Kirsten E. Steeves, Peotone, Member
- James R. Covington, Illinois State Bar Association, Springfield, Staff Liaison