Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2020–21 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2020–21 bar year.
Mental Health Law
- Community members: 232
- Total discussion posts: 15
- Community members: 25,879
- Total discussion posts: 958
- Community members: 25,867
- Total discussion posts: 1,739
The Section Council reviewed 101 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- Senate Bill 586 clarifies that a “mental health facility” doesn’t include a facility for a person whose admission is solely to receive treatment for a condition other than a mental illness.
- House Bill 679 amends the Illinois Power of Attorney Act to provide that a principal may elect a 30-day delayed revocation of the principal's health care agency.
- Senate Bill 1970 creates the Access to Basic Mental Health Information Act.