Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2022–23 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2022–23 bar year.
Bench and Bar
- Community members: 373
- Total discussion posts: 10
- Community members: 25,498
- Total discussion posts: 582
- Community members: 25,497
- Total discussion posts: 1,794
The Section Council reviewed 20 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- House Bill 2624 creates the Court Record and Document Accessibility Act to harmonize the statutes with Supreme Court Rule 8.
- House Bill 2455 amends the FOIA Act to provide that a “public body” includes judicial bodies of the State with exemptions for preliminary drafts, notes, recommendations, memoranda and other records in which opinions are expressed, or policies or actions are formulated that pertain to the preparation of judicial opinions and orders.
- Senate Bill 1346 provides that jurisdiction may be transferred from a sentencing court to a problem-solving court in the circuit in which the offender resides at the concurrence of both courts.