Below is a summary of activities of this section from July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021. While past activity is no guarantee of future activity, it may give a idea of what to expect this year.
Continuing Legal Education
Section members receive discounts on section-sponsored CLE programs. During the 2020–21 bar year, the Section sponsored the following programs:
ISBA Central Discussions
ISBA Central communities allows section members to pose questions, answer questions, and share information with fellow section members. Members of the section get free access to the section’s community. Joining any section also grants you access to the Transactional and Litigation communities. Below are the total number of discussion posts during the 2020–21 bar year.
Bench and Bar
- Community members: 373
- Total discussion posts: 10
- Community members: 25,879
- Total discussion posts: 958
- Community members: 25,867
- Total discussion posts: 1,739
The Section Council reviewed 57 bills that may affect their members’ practice area. Highlights of the most recent legislative session include:
- House Bill 2427 creates the Public Defender Quality Defense Task Force to study staffing and caseloads by public defenders.
- House Bill 3575 allows the chief judge by rule to use two-way audio-visual technology to conduct certain criminal proceedings.
- Senate Bill 2520 creates a process for a petition to be filed alleging that the state’s attorney has an actual conflict of interest in a cause of proceeding.