My father was a lawyer in Illinois and for 16 years was an elected judge on the county court, a court of limited jurisdiction.
Recent judicial appointments and retirements
1. The Supreme Court, pursuant to its constitutional authority, has appointed the following to be Circuit Judges:
• Mitchell Ware, Cook County Circuit, 8th Subcircuit, Reinstated, October 1, 2003;
• David B. Atkins, Cook, County Circuit, 5th Subcircuit, October 8, 2003;
2. The circuit judges have appointed the following to be associate judges:
• Ronald D. Sutter, 18th Circuit, August 21, 2003;
• William P. Brady, 16th Circuit, October 30, 2002.
3. The following judge has deceased:
Supreme Court to look at Rule 23
On February 6, 2003, Justice Rita Garman told a luncheon meeting of the Appellate Lawyers Association that the Supreme Court is appointing a special committee composed of appellate and circuit judges and attorneys to evaluate Rule 23 and recommend any changes. ISBA past-president J. Timothy Eaton is one of the members of this special committee.
An update on mandatory arbitration in Cook County
The Mandatory Arbitration Program in all six of Cook County's Municipal districts is an alternative dispute resolution process for civil suits seeking monetary damages of $30,000 or less.