The Committee on Legal Education, Admission and Competence has established "The Excellence on Legal Education Award" designed to annually honor a law school program that emphasizes real world skill for students.
2018 - The Civil Justice Clinic of Northern Illinois University College of Law Clinic
2017 - University of Illinois Community Preservation Clinic
2016 - Professor Stacey Tutt, Community Preservation Clinic, University of Illinois School of Law
2015 - IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Must be a program, class, clinic or other initiative focused on teaching practical skills at an ABA accredited law school affiliated with the ISBA;
- Must provide students with an opportunity to practice identifiable, practical legal skills, including but not limited to, skills related to advocacy, transactional representation, law office management or ethics.
Program exhibits one or more of the following:
- Has provided students with a hands on opportunity to practice; identifiable legal skill(s);
- Significantly advances the cause of access to quality legal representation for individual low-income clients or otherwise advances in the public interest;
- Significantly advances skills training the profession in a positive educational environment;
- Integrates practical skills with the traditional doctrinal study of law;
- Promotes the efficient use of students' resources;
- Serves as an example, though its record of exceptional advocacy, leadership and dedication, of excellence in the practice of law.
To nominate a program or organization for this award, please attach a letter or other supporting documentation that includes the following information:
- Name of nominee, law school & program;
- Nominee's contact information, including telephone and email address;
- Description of the program, identifying the practical skill taught and state why you believe it is noteworthy (you may attach a separate document if desired);
- Note: Only ISBA members in good standing may nominate an individual or organization for this award.
If you have any questions, please contact Kim Furr at KFurr@isba.org.
Nominations are closed, please check back in the fall to nominate someone next year.