The Carole K. Bellows Women of Influence award honors two individuals each year that raise awareness to the unmet legal needs of women, advocates for action addressing women’s issues, or promotes involvement by women in the legal community at all levels. The award is presented by the ISBA’s Standing Committee on Women and the Law.
- Lisa Bradley — Individual Award Less Than 10 Years of Experience
- Margaret Battersby Black — Individual Award More Than 10 Years of Experience
- Dina Ninfo — Individual Award Less Than 10 Years of Experience
- Barbara Flores — Individual Award More Than 10 Years of Experience
- Anna Lozoyo — Individual Award Less Than 10 Years of Experience
- Hon. Elizabeth Rochford — Individual Award More Than 10 Years of Experience
The Honorable Carole K. Bellows made history as the first woman in the country elected to serve as president of a state bar association. She served as president of the Illinois State Bar Association from 1977-1978. She also was the first female member of the ISBA Board of Governors, serving from 1969-1979. Judge Bellows became the first female state delegate to the American Bar Association House of Delegates, serving from 1978-1988. In addition, she was the first woman to become chairperson of the Fellows of the American Bar Foundation. Judge Bellows has received numerous honors over the years in recognition of her legal service.
Judge Bellows was first appointed to serve as a judge of the Circuit Court, Domestic Relations Division, by the Illinois Supreme Court in 1986. By being successfully retained by the voters, she continued to serve on the bench for 26 years. Prior to becoming a judge, she was an attorney for 26 years.
Recipients must be ISBA members at time of nomination and have helped to raise awareness of the unmet legal needs of women, advocated for action on women’s issues, or have promoted involvement by women in the legal community.
An award may be awarded to someone with less than 10 years of experience and to someone with 10 years or more experience.
Required information for nominations:
- Complete the nomination form.
- Please submit one letter of support from someone other than the nominator as an attachment via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations must be submitted by March 10, 2023.