ISBA Law Enforcement Award
The Law Enforcement Award was created to recognize sworn law enforcement officers for conduct that promotes justice and to distinguish those individuals whose service to the public brings honor and respect to the entire criminal justice system. The award is given sparingly to recognize those who truly excel in the field of law enforcement and is available to law enforcement officers based upon single acts of exceptional heroism on or off duty.
Candidates for the Illinois State Bar Association Law Enforcement Award must be sworn law enforcement officers, employed full time by a law enforcement agency. Eligible candidates include agents and officers employed by federal law enforcement agencies, Illinois State Troopers and agents employed by law enforcement agencies of the State of Illinois, police officers employed by municipalities, elected Sheriff's and their sworn deputies. Candidates for elective office are ineligible.
Recipients will be chosen based upon conduct that, in a substantial way, facilitates a better understanding of the criminal justice system, encourages respect for the law, or promotes justice. Examples of conduct that will be considered are as follows:
- Efforts on behalf of victims directed at minimizing the impact of crime.
- Efforts designed to prevent crime.
- Efforts to promote an understanding and the integrity of the criminal justice system.
- Professional or volunteer activities directed toward enhancement of the image of law enforcement and the criminal justice system.
- Professional or volunteer activities directed toward encouraging community involvement and interaction with law enforcement.
- Activities directed toward eliminating negative contacts between specific segments of society and the criminal justice system.
- Volunteer service to the community that sheds a favorable light on law enforcement and enhances the image of the criminal justice system with the general public.
Selection And Award
Nominees will be screened and selected by the Standing Committee on Marketing and Communications of the Illinois State Bar Association. The Board of Governors of the Illinois State Bar Association will select recipients(s) of the Award. The nominator of each successful applicant will be notified and arrangements will be made to present the award. Each award recipient will receive a plaque from the Illinois State Bar Association, recognizing his or her accomplishments. Certificates may also be awarded to other nominees from the same Appellate District.
If you have any questions, please contact Melissa Burkholder.
Nominations are closed for 2017.